Saturday, January 14, 2012

Week 1: Task 5 Action Time!


EDOMO

We were asked to think about how we would use one of the tools we were introduced this week with our students.  I'm still figuring out how to navigate Edmodo but I think it is very useful to have a virtual classroom where students can explore and share their ideas.  One of the first things I would do is have them introduce themselves using Voki.com.  I would post the following as an assignment on Edomodo. In fact, I tried to do this but although I set up a class I have no students so it wouldn't allow me to send it.  (Yes, I'm basically doing what we were asked to do but it was so much fun and I think my students would love it!)

Introduce yourself to the class.
1) Click on the Voki.com link.  (This would be linked below.)
2) Join Voki.  (Top righthand corner.)
3) Click on the CREATE tab. (Top lefthand corner.)
4) Click on CUSTOMIZE YOUR CHARACTER.  You can change the face, clothes, style and so on.
5) Click on BACKGROUNDS. You can change the image behind the face.
6) Look at GIVE IT A VOICE.  You can choose a) TYPE (type your message) or b) MICROPHONE (record your voice).  Choose one.
7) Tell us your name and 3 things about yourself.
8) When you are finished, click PUBLISH.
9) Copy the URL and paste it below.
10) Listen to your classmates' introductions.
11) Click on reply and write comments!

4 comments:

  1. Dear Rebecca,

    Nice to meet you online. I loved your blog's background very much. Your lesson plan's steps are very cear. You can write the goals of learning. For me,I tried Voki with my students to improve their listening and speaking skills.

    You can say:
    By the end of this lesson, students will,
    1. give a short speech talking about themselves for 3 min.
    2. listen to each others' vokis and give feedback.

    Something like that.
    Thanks so much for sharing
    Happy to follow your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your suggestions, Azhar! You are right, including the goals would have been helpful. I was only thinking of what it would look like from student's point of view. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Rebecca,

    I loved the fact that you already connected two digital tools that could be highly engaging to students. Way to go!

    Just one detail: I'd first show my students my own voki to encourage them to make theirs.

    ReplyDelete